Monday, September 7, 2015

PNG Sept. Day 1: "Happy Birthday!"

I arrived in PNG on Sunday afternoon.  The Saturday was my birthday and I had a great party with the family on that night.  When I arrived in Port Moresby I was hoping to meet up with our staff, but no one was available - which I thought was a bit odd, but I did have lots to do.  Then I received this message from Elton: "Hi Dan, On Monday, I want you to be at the office by 10am sharp and not earlier than this.  That's when everyone arrives".  Now, I didn't know they used that word "sharp" in a time context here and I thought it strange that he said not earlier, but I didn't think much more about it.

On Monday, they wanted to know when I was arriving and I sent them texts as I got close because I wanted them to help me carry the 3 heavy bags I had for them.  And it was a great reunion in the parking lot and and we all walked to the office, but the girls slammed the door in my face before I got to it (Elton smiled kind of funny like).  Then they opened the door and the whole room was decorated.  I wondered at first what the occasion was, but then they all said "Happy Birthday!".  I was very surprised!  They took a picture of my surprised face and later compared it to photos of themselves that they had taken earlier with their facial expression predictions of what they thought I'd look like - very funny (see final picture below)!




They sat me down in a fancy chair (my "throne"), gave me a crown, a necklace, a sceptre (which I used to poke them for the next 2 days), and a PNG carry bag and 2 cans of Bu (like Red Bull).  It was great fun and I felt so appreciated.  

I'll be here 5 more days.

What a great team to work with!!!!

3 comments:

  1. TeeHee! Happy birthday surprise! (Will I have to call you "Sir Dan" when you get home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir Daniel, nice ring of authority and dignity to it. Keep the crown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "They took a picture of my surprised face and later compared it to photos of themselves that they had taken earlier with their facial expression predictions of what they thought I'd look like" made me laugh so much! That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Please let us know what you think of what we just wrote.