Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 5: Building friends!

The whole missionary idea is built around relationships.  The great thing about us being here is that you find out so much more face-to-face with people than you do over the phone or Skype.

I found out that Eva used to enjoy playing field hockey.  In fact, she had two sticks.  George asked her what she needed two sticks for and she said, "In case you want to play."  Of course, George did.

I found out that Jasmine's brother is going to university this year.

I found out that the two PNG board members are funny guys!  One man, a retired pastor, had an outreach to a crime-ridden area...and 30 new believers were born. (former druggies and drunkards).  He is now involved with feeding them and following them up.  (God seems quietly at work in small pockets of society...without me knowing anything about it.)

We met a young girl staying here that lives in a village right by the Irian Jaya border, studying their language.

We've talked about special "friendships" with at least 3 of our staff members.  (It's great hanging out with this age group for a romantic like me!)

While building relationships is key...communication has a big role...like when the lock on our door was stuck.  I was inside the room (not knowing the problem) and Dan was outside.  He tried the knob a couple of times, but since it was locked he thought I was in the bathroom.  Quite a while later I came out of our room (locking myself out)...found Dan (who was getting quite nervous about what was taking me so long), and we got the lock problem sorted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let us know what you think of what we just wrote.