Saturday, June 22, 2013

PNG Mission Project Day 12: saying goodbye & finding a place to sleep.

This morning in our last group Quiet Time, we practiced one more time using A.C.T.S. or God is, God does, I will do. I have been showing them my QT notebook where I write my thoughts & prayers, and today I read something I wrote a few months ago about 2 Cor 12 and Paul rejoicing (boasting) about his weaknesses if it brings glory to God. Then we spent 20 minutes alone (as a group) starting with Ps. 139 and going wherever God leads. And I urged them firmly to not neglect this time every day with God. Several students came up to me thanking me for these times and 2 asked me for copies of the Mercy Me songs (which I can't legally do) - But I offered to buy some for them off iTunes and I'll do that tomorrow.

Then it's pack up time and taking down the tents. We were all ready by 9:30 am when the truck was supposed to come... then we waited for 1 ½ hours (island time). [The photo is of myself, Elton (4th year/staff), & Samantha (3rd year)]

:-(    While we waited, I chickened out of something I think God wanted me to do - from about 9:00, the church leaders started singing (til the truck came 2 hours later). And while they sang, several other church members who had come see us off would dance.  Well an older lady, in her 80s, also started dancing but she kept looking at me as I was sitting along the side.  Anytime anyone does that to me, I start to get nervous - I can see something coming even if I don't have a clue what it is.  She would stick both hands out toward me, palms up, and then lowers them. It looked like she was inviting me in to dance with her. Well, if you know me, I can't dance - I have trouble keeping the beat :-\  Well I just sat there frozen - I couldn't move - I was afraid that I'd mess it all up - as the leader of the group, I was 95% sure God wanted me to do this - I blew it  :-(

:-)    About 30 minutes later, I happened to be in the same spot as I was before, and she came up & danced the same move - and then another lady behind me said, "she wants you to dance with her"... so I quickly prayed, "LORD, help me!" and jumped into the ring & danced with her! It was fun (my photo below doesn't look like I'm moving, but I am - I'm doing the dance that I was taught last night). For the most part I kept the beat, and people all around started cheering. :-)

Once the truck came & was loaded, everyone there stood in a long line curving around almost to a circle.  About 80 of them.  We shook hands and/or gave hugs & kisses with everyone.  I was at the end of our group, so by the time I got to each person, many of them were sobbing!  But the special thing for me is that this lady who I danced with shook my hand firmly with both her hands and said in perfect English, "Thank you!".

The 2-hour very bumpy truck ride went a lot faster simply because we know each other much better now, and because we stopped at a group of fruit stands and bought bananas & peanuts (in the shell, non-roasted). I ate 9 bananas & about 30 peanuts. The road was just as bumpy: it knocked me over once onto Eva & Samantha (in the photo eating bananas & peanuts) as I was trying to take a photo of someone else - - - and it knocked Eva off her seat twice!

Once in Port Moresby I found a room at the Wellness Lodge - I'm not very pleased with it, but it's only 1 night and I already had a warm shower where the water came out of the pipes by itself when I turned the dial, and when I drop my soap it still looks clean, and there is light when & where I need it, and my bed is dry and there's no sand in it! Tomorrow I head back to MAPANG guest house.

This last week had been great. The village (mostly the United Church, but also all those we visited in the community) has made us feel so welcomed and comfortable. And I found myself calling the students as my friends - as they surely have become. I've spent some personal time with each student & have gotten to know them much better - for some, it was as we floated & played together in the ocean waves! It's been a week I'll never forget. I just wish Kaylynn was here :-(

My last photo is one of a treat that I wasn't expecting - the people gave us lots of local veggies as a parting gift and with our heap was sugar cane. So this last picture is eating sugar cane (which I haven't done since we were in the Solomon Islands in the early 90s)!

Thanks for praying!

3 comments:

  1. Sugarcane was a Christmas treat in the Solomons...You're a bit early, kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure that it's cold where you are right now and when I was a kid Christmas always came when it was cold - so it's okay :-)

      Delete

Please let us know what you think of what we just wrote.