Tuesday, September 17, 2013

PNG (Sept.) Day 5: "Happy PNG Independence Day!"

We decided to go on campus at UPNG to see the dancers from the different provinces and maybe see some of the students involved in our ministry.

Can you find Dan?
It turned out to be a very hot, dusty, colourful day.  The crowds were thick, and the smell of woodsmoke was ever present (from BBQs used to cook the chicken and sausages for sale.)  Many people wore traditional costumes and headdresses and body paint from there province.

It was too hard to see through the crowd onto the field where the performances were going on, but we saw some groups up close and personal as they practiced by the food stalls.

It was interesting and exciting...hot and dusty and tiring...and good to see some of the students we've gotten to know.






Where's Kaylynn?



8 comments:

  1. What's with the possum? Is she going to eat it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PNG celebrates their independence from Britain. The possum was a pet, so I think it's safe from the stewpot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamily: I walked up to the lady with the possum (I think called cus cus) and found out that it was alive. I asked if he was dangerous and she said no, that he was friendly. He was holding on tight to the lady - I felt his claws and they were strong, but not sharp. She told me to pet him (he was very soft) and asked if I wanted to hold him. I said "no, but thanks"... but I kind of wish I had said yes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you'd said yes too!! Wow, a pet possum! =)

    ReplyDelete

Please let us know what you think of what we just wrote.