Thursday, February 18, 2016

Our two weeks of February in PNG: "Getting the Lay of the Land!"

Today's goal:  Get the real scoop and scope of what's been happening in the ministry on the ground here.  (Our view from New Zealand is never quite accurate.)

First cause for rejoicing: Our smiling staff of three!  After hosting a joint Australian/PNG student project just as the university year kicks off (and just before our staff leave for a year of training in Fiji), this is an important measuring stick. 

When asked how this project compared to last year's, they all agreed it was even better.  The teaching covered was just what the students here needed.  As a bonus, one of the Aussie girls came from a campus that had no full time CCC staff.  Since the PNG students knew that they'd be on their own this year, they asked her lots of questions.

However, probing more deeply, it turns out the accommodations were not as wonderful as last year.  (The venue had been changed.)  Lillian had to wash the bed linen and towels for the whole project several times.  (That's wash by hand, ladies!)  The sewer line broke once.  The water was off and on.  And the bedding wasn't as comfortable.  What amazed me in all of this is that our staff didn't start with this information.  The lasting impression on them seemed to be the teaching and one of the Aussie guys named Michael, who picked up the Tok Pisin language quite easily.  (I'll have to investigate and find a picture of this guy!)

As I find myself once again humbled by our young staff, I feel a bit shallow when I think of one of my lasting impressions of the day:  a mouse.  A small black shadow raced towards me during our meeting and I must admit, I jumped.  (But I didn't shriek...I get points for that...right?)  The poor mouse did an abrupt about-turn and raced back from where he came:  behind the filing cabinet.  Note to self:  buy a mouse trap!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let us know what you think of what we just wrote.