Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Our Two Weeks of February in PNG Adventure: "Back Again!"

When our PNG staff's airline tickets to Fiji got cancelled because of Cyclone Winston, the airline automatically changed the tickets to fly out of PNG today (which is the first flight out after the storm.)  However, after a discussion with our Fiji team, we learned that Nadi, the city in Fiji into which our staff are flying, is without power and water.  Also, the hotel in which we had reservations is closed. Therefore, today, we all arrived at the PNG airport bright and early (7 a.m.) to get new tickets for our three staff to fly out of PNG on Sunday. Didn't Bilbo Baggins write a story called, "There and Back Again"?  I feel like our staff are "back again" without ever having gone anywhere.  (The office looks a little like a refugee center.)  I told them I bet they just wanted ANOTHER going away party.

After getting the tickets straightened out, we had an impromptu staff meeting at the little cafe inside the airport.  Since you must order something for the privilege of sitting at their table and chairs, I told Dan I'd like a juice.  It turned out that the juice cost 2 and 1/2 times more that his banana bread.  (Oops!)  But my, was it good!  (Dan decided that since the juice was pricey, he'd order something unusual.)  I was handed a huge cup of orange/apple/carrot juice.  YUM!  Hey, my feeling is:  If you have to get up early, you might as well make it worth your while!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let us know what you think of what we just wrote.