Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Twelve Days of PNG - Day 7: "A Blast From the Past!"



Surprise!  The man sitting with us at the breakfast table this morning went to a Bible college in my hometown.  He knew my high school and the street where I grew up.  Here, in PNG, was this man who preached occasionally at a church Dan and I spoke in once during our furlough. What are the odds?

He also said he worked at Senn's Dairy at one point in time.  Senn's sold bottled milk right down the street from my high school.  The store was one which had a "drive-thru."  The customer ordered milk and a young man delivered it to your car.  It was run by a Christian man, and at one time the workers were ultra-conservative.  I have no idea when our breakfast companion worked there, but it brought back a memory that made me laugh.

I was riding in the car with my girlfriend when we were teens, getting milk.  My friend has a definite sense of mischief and she turned up the "rock" music station on her car radio, then rolled down her window...knowing that it would make our delivery boy a bit uncomfortable.  Truth be told, as a girl who avoided conflict, it made me a bit uncomfortable as well.

I thought to myself, "You've come a long way, baby!"  I think it's safe to say that working in other cultures, I've had occasion to unintentionally ruffle feathers!

1 comment:

Please let us know what you think of what we just wrote.